Monday, June 23, 2008

Hello everyone! This weekend was a good weekend; my boyfriend returned! It was time to dust off the baking pans and get to work cooking him yummy food!! I don't have pictures today(I know, bad!) but I promise to have a picture tomorrow of the fabulous, delicious, super-chocolately cake I made him! It is him birthday on next Monday, but we will be on vacation, so I wanted to make him an extra special cake a week in advance. We also visited our favorite veg-friendly restaurant and had hummus club sandwiches(the best!). I made the polenta/bean casserole from ED&BV, which was delicious and gave me an excuse to buy some Follow Your Heart vegan cheese(a splurge).
I also visited the farm stand by my school and bought 3 pints of strawberries..mm mm! We also got a head of lettuce that was huge! I mean, huge! It was a beautiful shade of green; a million times better than at the grocery store.
I also finished The Omnivore's Dilema. I know I keep talking about this book, but it really is a intelligent book that explores the food system of the U.S. and negative effects it is having on the American public physically and socially. Now that I'm finished though, it is time to move on to Eckhart Tolle's A New Earth and Diet For a New America by John Robbins which I happily bought yesterday at the bookstore and plan on bringing it with me on vacation. I read John Robbins May All Be Fed: Diet For a New Planet and was brought to tears by it...and everyone always talks about what a profound effect Diet For a New America had on them, so I want to hop on the bandwagon and read his first book before I read his others. Has anyone read Diet For a New America? Thanks!
Doe anyone have any good ideas for airplane/travel food? So far on my list I have nuts, dried fruit, bread and the Super Charge Me! cookies from ED&BV. I'm on a budget and there are those lame airplane restrictions on anything liquidy, even peanut butter in a jar. Thanks!

2 comments:

Katy said...

Diet For a New America was the book that made me go vegan. It's so good!
As for airplane food, you can also bring crackers or fresh fruit.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Ugh, last time I travelled they made me throw out my pb :(

My favorite travel-foods are Z bars, Luna bars, and apples... oh, and almonds.