I just had to include a picture of the mixed greens...they are so beautiful!!
These and the chives were organic :)
A scrumptious dinner I made that night: mixed greens w/ chives, carrots, raisens and a pomegranite dressing by Organicville, brown rice cooked with one bullion cube by the brand Rapunzel and tofu baked with the leftover peanut sauce. We ate this dinner on the porch while watching two families of geese mingle on the lawn, very relaxing and fulfilling.
What better way to fill a hungry man's belly while he is away from his woman than with "Super Charge Me" cookies from ED&BV?! These were quick to put together and very filling!
For lunch today, I made salads with the mixed greens and topped them with the Tamari Roasted Chickpeas and Back-to-Basics Balsamic Vinagerette, both from ED&BV. ..hmm, I've started to rely on this book for a lot of yummy food!
So, I am really excited because I am going to be doing an independent study soon! The premise of the study is "creating a sustainable community" and the professor seems interested in the topic I have chosen, which is along the lines of how factory farming is detrimental to our environment. It is going to be a fast-paced study because we only have two weeks, but she wants to have discsussion sessions and field trips! ..I'm just so excited about all the new information I will learn and can share with other people.
I am also relieved that it will be one on one with a professor; someone who is more apt to have an intelligent discussion with you, instead of just saying "oh, that is so sad" and going home to eat chicken nuggets or something. This past semester I did a presentation on the workers of slaughterhouses and the danger/discrimination they face on the job and the corruptness of slaughterhouse corporations...everyone made faces at the disturbing parts, but no one asked questions, no one talked with me afterwards, nothing. Now, seriously, I am an approachable person, I am not confrontational at all. In fact, I'm sad to admit that I'm usually the first one to back down...but I was really excited for this opportunity to share information with people and not a single person responded, I was devastated.
Sorry about this little rant. I'm sure alot of you have had experiences similar to this. It is just really hard for me to wrap my mind around how people can be so closed-minded and uninterested in learning important information. Or how people can listen to these horrible stories and say "that is so sad" and then go right back to being a part of the problem. This applies to so much more than animal welfare/veganism.
Why do people work against eachother instead of with eachother?
P.S. Sorry this ended on a somber note...I am a HAPPY PERSON :) promise!
4 comments:
It sounds like you have some great opportunities coming up to speak out for animals and our environment. Hopefully everyone is more responsive this time, and maybe you can even convince your professor to look at the issue with a different perspective!
You're right -- those greens are beautiful! I wish we had a farmer's market around here, but I'll have to wait until I go back to college in the fall in order to shop at one again.
That tofu + peanut sauce looks excellent -- that's what I had for dinner last night as well! Yay for all your ED&BV goodies! Your super-charged cookies look a lot darker than when I made them; there must be extra chocolaty and delicious!
Ok, I will totally come to New Hampshire. We can volunteer together... and then you can cook me the exact same meal that you have pictured in this post, because it looks sooo yummy!
Any feast that boasts chocolate, peanut butter, AND bananas has my name written all over it. Please, let's have this feast sooooon!!!
Hi! Thanks for the comment :) That is so cool that your boyfriend is vegan! I haven't exactly told my parents that I am interested in becoming a vegan...I will eventually though, ha-ha.
I'm sorry to hear that your presentation to your class didn't get the response it deserved. Whenever my eating habits (I eat mostly organic, too, and often my friends have never heard of things I cook with or eat on a day-to-day basis) come up in a conversation, I get weird looks and ignorant comments like "Why would you ever want to do that????" Eating healthily makes me feel good, and us health nuts just have to stick together! People who don't care to learn about other ways of approaching life and food are really missing out.
Post a Comment